Just a little post....

6.06.2008

DSC09347

DSC09344

Summer is officially here. School was out on Wednesday, the thermometer is registering in the high 80's and it's muggy. Summer in Chicago. This year we bought pool passes so I am hoping to put them to good use. The plan is to get all our "work" done before noon and then head out for some water fun. We don't have much else planned, maybe a vacation bible school and swim lessons at the end of the summer. I may be regretting this with the girls already driving each other crazy and Maddie more often than not in tears.
I have extended the deadline until next monday for this months kidmade challenge so if your looking for a little something to do with the kids you can check it out.
I haven't been doing a ton of sewing lately but a few projects have made it off the machine. The pillow in the picture was a gift for Annie's teacher. I had her draw a picture and then printed it on to fabric using this product and then added the strips. I am quite pleased with the way it turned out. It only took about 3 hours from start to finish, I think it takes me longer to pick the fabric. I know I saw a pillow like this last year around this time and filed it away for future use. Sorry I can't remember where. It was such an easy and satifsying project I think I may need to make a few more for our house. The family room could use a bit of color. I also love this one made by Jen.
So what do you all have planned for the long summer ahead?

7 comments:

Bloggy Mama said...

The pillow is a fantastic idea. As a teacher, I would love to get a keepsake like that. Very unique, and it looks beautiful!

Becky said...

What a great project ... thankfully for me it wasn't something with a serged edge, as I'm working hard to talk myself out of a serger.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely adore that pillow! We will be making some of these for ourselves, and maybe the grandparents too! Thanks for sharing! :)

taisa said...

This is a great pillow- a great teacher present idea. It looks complicated, but I'll believe you that it's not so I can give it a try!

sulu-design said...

What a fabulous teacher gift. I'd have been all tears if any of my students gave my something so precious.

Misty said...

How do you print onto the fabric?

mary said...

Hi misty,
I use a product such as this
http://www.ericas.com/quilting/transferpaper.htm

but I just pick it up at Joannes or Michaels. Lots of different ones. Give it a try it's lots of fun and you can do all sorts of projects with it.
Mary